[tex-live] Compile error on OSX

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sun Jun 22 18:39:46 CEST 2008

On Sun, Jun 22, 2008 at 5:48 AM, Kyle Husmann <kyle.husmann at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just compiled texlive using macports on OSX, and found an error in
> one of the Makefiles.  It was giving me this compile error:

Given that TL2008 is being tested, you might consider
just getting that if your system is supported.  If you are
installing texlive because some package depends on
it, you might find a way to override the dependencies.

Which version of OSX and what hardware are you using?

It isn't clear to me where you got texlive.  Are you talking
about the version from port install texlive?  For those not
familiar with macports, it is a system that stores build
scripts (called port files).  When you install a package, the
sources are downloaded, patches applied, and configure,
make, make install or some such are run.  For MacPorts,
the patches from the BSD port of TL2007 are used.

> [...]
> I fixed it by editing texlive_base-2007/texk/xdvik/Makefile
>
> I changed the line that read:
>
> x_ldflags=-L/usr/lib/ruby 1 -L/usr/X11/lib
>
> to:
>
> x_ldflags=-L/usr/lib/ruby -L/usr/X11/lib
>
> Anyway, hope that helps someone, and that I am reporting this in the
> right place.  Please let me know!

If you are using the macports build system, then this looks like a problem
in either the port file or the BSD port of tl2007 by Edd Barrett and you
should report the problem on the macports user list.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia