[tex-live] distributions other than .iso for TL08

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Jun 20 23:19:25 CEST 2008

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard writes:
 > > You can checkout the sources from svn and build, maybe the installer
 > > will work from hard disk?
 > >
 > Better not checkout but use rsync if you care about space and don't
 > need to really use svn.  See http://tug.org/texlive/svn/ point 2.
 > The installer runs just fine from the svn tree.

BTW, it's not only disk space what matters.  Subversion is very slow
as compared with rsync because it avoids to overwrite modified files.
It doesn't rely on time stamps.  Whenever you run "svn update" it
calculates checksums of all the files (more than 70,000) in your
working copy.  If you don't have to upload files, rsync is much more
efficient.

There is also a network installer:

  http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/systems/texlive/tlnet/tldev/install-tl.zip

Even if you are using rsync --compress, I suppose that TeX Live is
using a better compression algorithm.  Once you have installed TeX
Live you can update it by the command "tlmgr update --all".

The packages are created daily and are mirrored daily to CTAN.  Hence,
they are a bit less up-to-date than the stuff in the repository.
However, the advantage of using the network installer is that you can
decide yourself which collections you want to install/update.  This
could save you a lot of time.  Especially if you don't know how to
test macro packages for CJK, Devanagari, Arabic, ancient Greek...

And it doesn't hurt to test the network installer self.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25