[tex-live] TL2008 installer

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Tue Jun 17 08:22:21 CEST 2008

On Mo, 16 Jun 2008, Karl Berry wrote:
> I guess we could check at the beginning (as well as at installation) if
> there is permission to write TEXDIR if it exists, or the parent of
> TEXDIR if it doesn't, and say "No permission to write these directions,

But this is done already, and in this case the warnings do appear in
text and gui mode.

Before we did something different, we automatically changed the
destination to ~/texlive/2008 (~ being $HOME or %USERPROFILE%). Then you
suggested that we should not do that but keep the original default
destination and issue a warning.

The test already is not a test on root/non-root, but on write
permissions to dest or paretn of dest. See TLUtils: check_texdir()

Best wishes

Norbert