[tex-live] TL2008 installer

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Jun 17 02:08:14 CEST 2008

    1. Would it be possible to have a more prominent warning when the
    installer is run without root privileges.

Well, as Reinhard said, the issue is not root/non-root, but permission
to write to the given directories.  I personally don't think it's a good
idea to install everything as root, as OSX and plenty of other systems
lead users to do these days, so I don't just want to issue a blanket
warning if non-root.

I guess we could check at the beginning (as well as at installation) if
there is permission to write TEXDIR if it exists, or the parent of
TEXDIR if it doesn't, and say "No permission to write these directions,
change them or rerun with appropriate privileges."

Thanks,