[tex-live] language.def

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 20:32:23 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 7:53 PM, Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:
> Hi Mojca, hi Karl,
>
> On Mo, 16 Jun 2008, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> language: es
>> name: spanish
>> synonym: espanol
>> lefthyphenmin: 2
>> righthyphenmin: 2
>> file: loadhyph-es.tex
>
> what about the following:
>
> - We get rid of the language.XX.dat file
> - replace the
>        execute BuildLanguageDat es
>  with
>        execute language=es name=spanish synonyms=espanol[,...] lefthyphenmin=2 righthyphenmin=2 file=loadhyph-es.tex
>

> (note that these executes could occur several times in one tlpsrc)
>
> Important would be that the
>        language
> tag is *unique* over *all* files.
>
> That way we could get rid of *loads* of language.XX.dat files and
> updating would be the usual thing, nothing to be thought twice (change
> here and there).
>
> If we extend this we could even do something similar with the formats
> and get rid of the fmtutil.XXX.cnf files.
>
> Karl???
>
> My job would be to adapt the code generating the
> language.dat/fmtutil.cnf lines, which is quite trivial, and add another
> function to generate language.def lines.
>
> Could all be done in probably 20min.
>
> Your (whoever that may be) is to fill in the stuff into the tlpsrc
> files.

To me that makes sense (less files, less mess). But note that there
are many comments under English.

Can anyone explain me when/which languages should be grouped together
apart from English?
German should probably include old and new, Greek should include all
variants, Serbian should include both scripts. What about
"Czecho-Slovak" and "Norwegian"? Anything else?

Mojca