[tex-live] language, lang, la (was: testing TL'08)

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jun 16 09:02:17 CEST 2008

Heiko Oberdiek <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 07:09:46PM -0500, Karl Berry wrote:
>
> >     It would really be a good thing if TeX Live could
> >     have a clear naming policy for languages.
> >
> > I can appreciate IETF tags as the reference, but I confess I don't see
> > where such a policy would apply,
>
> To give programs like `texdoc' a chance to find documentation
> in the right language (e.g. "LANG=de texdoc foobar" should find
> foobar in German if available otherwise in the original (English?)
> language.)

yes.  you're using an iso 639-1 tag there -- i thought the question was
"what do ietf tags gain us over iso 639?".

note: we (ctan) already have a modest investment in the use of iso 639-1
tags, in the catalogue.  nothing we couldn't change, but there will be a
period of hiatus if tex live adopts a different scheme.

robin