[tex-live] checks for right file types (was: testing TL'08)

Staszek Wawrykiewicz staw at gust.org.pl
Mon Jun 16 00:27:57 CEST 2008

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008, Heiko Oberdiek wrote:

> * Wrong file types
>     texmf-dist/bibtex/bst/beebe/xbtxbst.doc
This is a template file to make several different file types.
.doc extension is unfortunate here, though.

>     texmf-dist/fonts/afm/public/lm/lmsy5.aft
.aft are regular .afm files consistent with .tfm files (.afm are
consistent with .pfb) to help people to play with.

>     texmf-dist/fonts/map/vtex/bera/bera.ali
don't know why we need .ali files in TL. Perhaps we can strip that.

>     texmf-dist/fonts/tfm/public/kpfonts/jkpmn7c.pl
???
>   [TDS:fonts/vf --> *.vf]
>     texmf-dist/fonts/vf/public/cmcyr/cmcyr6d/cmalt
No idea

>   [TDS:fonts/type1 --> *.pfb]
>     texmf-dist/fonts/type1/jmn/hans/hans-sh.pfm
.pfm files are never used by any of TeX programs. They are included
together with .pfb files to help people installing them when needed
in windows, os/2 or some more. The same is with .inf files.

> At least the *.pfm files should be moved into the right tree.
Sorry, no. TDS must be for people, but not vice versa. .pfm in other
directory are unusable at all. They are very small files and doesn't hurt
so much.

Many thanks for your comments, testing and script.

All the best,

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz
StaW at gust.org.pl