[tex-live] error building luatex.fmt and xetex.fmt

Artemio Gonzalez Lopez artemio at fis.ucm.es
Sun Jun 15 21:30:47 CEST 2008

I just installed the current (June 14) svn distribution of TeXLive
2008 (downloaded with rsync) on my iMac (i386-darwin). Everything went
well, except that luatex.fmt and xetex.fmt failed to be generated. The
errors were both very similar (there seems to be a problem with
eshyph.tex):

(/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/eshyph.tex
! Text line contains an invalid utf-8 sequence.
l.55 1?

?
! Emergency stop.
l.55 1?

No pages of output.
Transcript written on luatex.log.
Error: `luatex -ini  -jobname=luatex -progname=luatex luatex.ini' failed

(/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf/tex/generic/hyphen/eshyph.tex
! Nonletter.
l.55 1�

?
! Emergency stop.
l.55 1�

No pages of output.
Transcript written on xetex.log.
Error: `xetex -ini  -jobname=xetex -progname=xetex -etex xetex.ini'
failed

I also have a couple of suggestions, namely:

1) When a Mac OS X system is detected by the installer, perhaps
$TEXMFHOME should be set to ~/Library/texmf, instead od ~/texmf, by
default

2) In any case, the value of $TEXMFHOME should be shown with the other
directory values

3) The supplied language.def loads only the US English hyphenation
patterns. Would it be possible to include other hyphenation patterns
by default (as is done with language.dat)?

Thanks everybody,

Artemio

artemio at fis.ucm.es