[tex-live] tds

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Sun Jun 15 07:59:53 CEST 2008

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 02:49:14AM +0200, Staszek Wawrykiewicz wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Jun 2008, Karl Berry wrote:
>
> >     In project latex-tds I provide a tds.pdf with bookmarks and links.
> >
> > Ok, I installed it.  (By hand, since integrating this with our normal
> > update process would be quite a project for little gain.)
> >
> >     Also source and doc files are divided properly:
> >
> > As I mentioned earlier, I don't see any point in those divisions within
> > texmf-doc.  (Actually I see little point to splitting up source and doc
> > anywhere, since they generally require each other to be useful, but I'm
> > not going to change it now, in either direction, in any tree.)
>
> I would like to follow that. Heiko, your notes are realy appreciated,
> but I do not see any reason to move lang specific *general* documentation
> to other place as it is (texmf-doc/).

What's the point in having language specific *general* documentation
in texmf-doc? TDS reserves TDS:doc/general and TDS:doc/help as locations.
It does not specify, how it looks below. Thus language separation can be
added here. Also it isn't *general* documentation, see
  vietnamese/amsldoc-vn: AMSLaTeX Manual v2.0, Vietnamese edition
  vietnamese/ntheorem-vn: User's Manual for `ntheorem' package
                          (Vietnamese version)
  russian/mpman-ru: translation of MetaPost version 1.004 user's manual to
                    Russian language
  polish/mpint-pl.pdf: Introduction to Metapost, Polish translation
  italian/amsldoc-it, amsmath-it, amsthdoc-it, fancyhdr-it, psfrag-italian
     texmf-doc/doc/italianpsfrag-italian/itpfgguide.pdf is the translation of
     texmf-dist/doc/latex/psfrag/pfgguide.pdf, ...
  english/xetexref: This is unofficial reference documentation for XeTeX
                    detailing its extended features
    It belongs to XeTeX, now the user has to search *all* three texmf trees:
    documentation for programs are randomly^1 assigned to both texmf and
    texmf-dist and now also texmf-doc/doc contains some of it.
    ^1 randomly for the user. I can't see, why pdftex is in texmf, whereas
    its successor luatex is in texmf-dist?

BTW:
* There is french/epslatex-fr, but the original english version is missing!
* texmf-doc/ls-R is missing.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>