[tex-live] language, lang, la (was: testing TL'08)

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Sun Jun 15 01:18:54 CEST 2008

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 12:14:13AM +0200, Martin Schröder wrote:

> 2008/6/14 Heiko Oberdiek <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>:
> > Therefore I strongly suggest to get rid of the
> > two letter abbreviations at least and to replace them
> > by the two letter ISO country codes in order to get
> > unique two letter codes.
>
> We're talking about languages, so we should use the language codes

Yes, you are right: language codes are the right term (I meant the codes
used in LANG (LANG=de ...) or in Java's Locale(String language)).

> (not country codes), i.e. ISO 639-3 (e.g. deu, slk, slv), or IETF
> language tags.

I found the following list:

http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/php/English_list.php

* Three letter codes require more changes for TL.
* Sometimes there are more than one three letter variant
  for a language.
* I doubt that we will have translations in so many languages
  that we need three letter codes.

Therefore I suggest the two letter codes (of ISO 639-1).

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>