[tex-live] language, lang, la (was: testing TL'08)

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Sat Jun 14 18:31:00 CEST 2008

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 08:31:22PM -0500, Karl Berry wrote:

> Please send bug reports here, tex-live at tug.org.

* Language names are a mess in texmf-doc, examples:

  texmf-doc/doc/german/
    german: lshort-german
    de:     pdf-forms-tutorial-de, voss-de
    ge:     FAQ-ge, texlive-ge
    <none>: remaining directories
  texmf-doc/doc/english/: english, en
  texmf-doc/doc/french/: french, fr
  texmf-doc/doc/vietnamese/: vietnamese, vn
  texmf-doc/doc/korean/lshort-korean/: kr, ko

  * I don't understand "ge". Either use "german" or the
    two letter ISO country code "de".
    The first two letters of the language name must not be used,
    this would lead to clashes. For instance, what would be "sl":
    "slovak" or "slovenian".
  * I don't understand the mess. Either use the full language
    name or the two letter code, but not both.

* texmf-doc/doc/czechslovak/
  Isn't Slovak a different language? Should the directory be named "czech"
  or similar?

* Source files should go to texmf-doc/source/
  korean/lshort-korean/lshort-kr-src.tar.gz

* Also I don't understand the purpose of texmf-doc at all.
  README says:

  | This tree (texmf-doc) is for self-contained "pure" documentation, that
  | is, doc packages which do not have any files in the other two trees.

  But it contains, for instance:
    amsldoc-vn (amsmath has many files in the other trees)
    ntheorem-vn (ntheorem has files in other trees)
    mpman-ru (metapost ...)

  Why not merge it in texmf-dist/doc/? TDS says

  | The TDS reserves the following category names:
 ·| * general, for standalone documents not specific to any particular
  |   program (for example, Joachim Schrod's Components of TEX ).
  | * help, for meta-information, such as FAQ's, the TEX Catalogue, etc.

  The FAQs could go in texmf-dist/doc/help/<language or usergrp ...>/...
  lshort could go in texmf-dist/doc/general/lshort/<language>/...

* How a user is supposed to find a translation for his language?
  "LANG=de texdoc lshort" finds the English version.
  The German version is in german/lshort-german/l2kurz.pdf
  It is quite annoying to search all texmf*/doc trees manually.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>