[tex-live] testing TL'08

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Jun 14 03:31:22 CEST 2008

For those who are willing to test TeX Live 2008, at this point we
would welcome your help!

Probably the best way is new this year: download the small bootstrap
installer, as explained on
ftp://tug.org/texlive/tlnet/tldev/README

Despite the name, it's an HTML file and hopefully your browser will
render it as such.  There are some links in there to the archives.
This will use a "nearby" CTAN host for the actual downloads.

The traditional ISO image is also being built, although that is over 1gb
even in its lzma-compressed form, and is only available from tug.org.
So please skip that unless you have a really strong desire to try it --
but if you do, ftp://tug.org/texlive/Images/test/README explains more.

(As mentioned previously, this year we are only making the "live" image
for DVD; no compressed versions, no CD's.  Just doesn't fit.)

The TeX Live documentation (live.pdf) and the top-level README's have
not been updated (at all) yet.  Sorry.  The installer has been
completely reimplemented, but looks nearly identical to previous years.
Hopefully it will be easy enough to try out.

Please send bug reports here, tex-live at tug.org.

Thanks,
Karl

P.S. Next I will be working on making it available in tarball form,
since that is what will work best for the GNU/Linux distro maintainers.