[tex-live] TeX Live Installer -- pregeneration of formats

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Tue Jun 10 22:35:05 CEST 2008

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard <mpg at elzevir.fr> wrote:

> Karl Berry scripsit (08.06.2008 23:43)
>>     Oh, I thought texdoc was already doing that.
>>
>> Try running it from the checkout on tug.org:
>> $ texdoc geometry
>> sh: see: command not found
>>
> Oh, unfortunately I have a command 'see' available, which I didn't know.  By
> the way, the result is is a good example why texdoc should use texlive.tlpdb
> in the future...

texlive.tlpdb? Isn't that just the database used for selection and
installation of TeXLive packages? Why should it use that - that would
restrict its use to packages installed that way, whereas now it can also
show you locally installed and even user-specific stuff.

And it's a lot faster with luatex than it used to be as a shell script.

>> locate /geometry/ | grep pdf
>> (etc.)
>>
> Ok, what I'm doing when everything else fails.  We definitely need to make
> texdoc more usable, we can't let you use locate like that ;-)

texdoc -s geometry | grep pdf does just the same.

Would you like to have a --format=pdf option?

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Debian Developer (teTeX/TeXLive)