[tex-live] TeX Live Installer -- pregeneration of formats

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Tue Jun 10 22:26:51 CEST 2008

karl at freefriends.org (Karl Berry) wrote:

>     one cannot assume that the program "see" exists on all Unix platforms.
>
> Indeed.  Doesn't exist on mine, for instance :).
>
> Instead of forcing the user to "configure" something (few will), I
> suggest having texdoc by default dynamically check along PATH for a
> suitable program (see, evince, xpdf, sumatra, whatever).  Of course, if
> a specific program is chosen by the user, that should just be used.
>
> I think this single change would make texdoc dramatically more
> accessible.  I might even use it myself sometimes :).

You mean, replacing "see" by something sensible?  Of course that should
be done; it's just a leftover from the times when I didn't bother about
portability and instead had to struggle with the basic code, and simply
put in the usual Debian commands ("see" for all types of files).

I'm surprised that no one has complained so far, is no one using it
except Debian users?

> Manuel (or anyone), is that something you'd like to work on?

I'm open to co-maintainance. The TeXLive repository is the upstream
repository at the moment, I have not other development copies anywhere -
just go ahead.

Regards, Frank

--
Frank Küster