[tex-live] Build fails on Solaris 10

Ettore Aldrovandi ealdrov at mail.math.fsu.edu
Mon Jun 9 20:14:14 CEST 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 12:51, Karl Berry wrote:
>     None of the directories listed above is
>     /export/xtp/texlive/2008/texmf/web2c where texmf.cnf actually is,
>     and it is correctly found by everything else.
>
> And what is it that is failing?  Just the tex binary?  That doesn't make
> sense.  Did the build succeed smoothly?
>
>     >     /export/xtp/texlive/2008/texmf/scripts/texlive:
>
> All those /scripts/ entries don't look normal to me, either.

Sorry, I was not clear, I should probably have started a fresh thread.

The build was successful, as far as I can tell. I installed the binaries
into a texlive/2008 tree, where I copied texmf-dist, texmf, texmf-doc. I
ran updmap, fmtutil --all, rebuilt the ls-R database. Tex, (pdf)latex,
etc. work properly. I have not tested xetex, yet.

The error message I was reporting comes from texdoc. Now, the problem is
that I know nothing about lua, so I'm not sure where to start digging.

Just to use the hammer, after having had a look at those directories in
the error message, I copied texdoc.tlu from texmf/scripts/texlive
directly into the bin/<arch> directory and simlinked texdoc directly to
it... and it now works.

> About all I can suggest is to remove kpathsea/paths.h and *.lo in your
> build directory and rerun the make.  (Or just do the whole thing from
> scratch.)  The DEFAULT_TEXMFCNF definition in paths.h should refer to
> $SELFAUTOLOC,$SELFAUTODIR,$SELFAUTOPARENT.  Then the voluminous output of
>   tex --kpathsea-debug=-1 null.tex \\end
> should point the way to whatever is causing the problem.  Assuming it
> still happens.

Even without rebuilding that output looks fine, on first parsing.
--
Ettore