[tex-live] TeX Live Installer -- pregeneration of formats

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Jun 8 23:20:44 CEST 2008

    one cannot assume that the program "see" exists on all Unix platforms.

Indeed.  Doesn't exist on mine, for instance :).

Instead of forcing the user to "configure" something (few will), I
suggest having texdoc by default dynamically check along PATH for a
suitable program (see, evince, xpdf, sumatra, whatever).  Of course, if
a specific program is chosen by the user, that should just be used.

I think this single change would make texdoc dramatically more
accessible.  I might even use it myself sometimes :).

Manuel (or anyone), is that something you'd like to work on?

Best,
Karl