[tex-live] file and viewer commands on OS/2 and macos (was: texdoc.tlu)

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 22:04:44 CEST 2008

2008/6/8, Frank Küster <frank at kuesterei.ch>:
> Frank Küster <frank at kuesterei.ch> wrote:
>
>  >>      if (os.type == "windows") then ....
>  >
>  > It is done like this already, except that I didn't know of os.type (or
>  > maybe it wasn't available one year ago),
>
>  I've now read about os.type, and have a view questions:
>
>  - is it possible to distinguish OS/2, and if not what will it return?
>   msdos?

Using the following in perl:
use Config;
print $Config{'osname'};

I get: OS/2

>  - What would be useful commands for removing a file or directory on
>   OS/2?

The native command for deleting a file is "del". There is no native
command for deleting a directory although some methods in Rexx exist.
There is also a port of rm, so that "rm -rf directory" could be used
if gnufutils are installed but you cannot rely upon it. If you want to
delete a directory from perl, you can use rmtree from File::Path, it
works.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/