[tex-live] Announcement: changes and plan for pdftex

The Thanh Han hanthethanh at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 10:08:37 CEST 2008

Announcement: changes and plan for pdftex

Dear all,

in the context of the forthcoming luatex (which is supposed to be pdftex
successor), the pdftex team has agreed on the following decisions:

- we plan to release 1.40.8 soon, which will be included in texlive2008.
  The next version will be 1.50.0 and after that version, pdftex
  development will be essentially stopped. From 1.50.0 onwards, in
  principle only bug fixes are accepted.

- from now on, pdftex will be maintained by me (Han The Thanh). I
  and all other members of the pdftex team thank Martin Schr\"oder for his
  great effort on pdftex maintainance over the years. Thanks to him we've
  seen a steady stream of pdftex releases.

- more structural development takes place in the luatex project, which is a
  continuation of pdftex. However, we will still do our best to keep pdftex
  stable and compliant to pdf standards. In this respect, after 1.50.0 we
  might have to accept some extensions (most likely backported from luatex)
  that are required to keep pdftex compliant with new pdf standards, but
  only in case it is unavoidable.

on the behalf of the pdftex team,
Han The Thanh