[tex-live] License of patch.doc

Jim Hefferon ftpmaint at alan.smcvt.edu
Mon Jun 2 15:34:04 CEST 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-02 at 15:09 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> "Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd)" <P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk> writes:
>
> > Robin Fairbairns wrote:
> >
> >> directory, so putting it in macros/generic/patch or m/g/kastrup-patch
> >
> > Why not m/g/kastrup/patch ?
>
> Well, as I said: a subdirectory for a single file does not really
> simplify things.
But it does, for instance for trying to rationalize (or automate) the
update process.

Imagine you want to update a directory that contains a collection of a
number of packages, put there over a period of time, and the updater is
a not-very-bright guy who makes a lot of mistakes and is in a hurry that
day (say, me, for instance  :-) ).  A package maybe goes from one file
to two, maybe by adding a README file, something gets overwritten, .. .

Really, when engineering the management of a whole lot of stuff it is
*much* cleaner to go one-dir-per.

Regards,
Jim