[tex-live] minor issues with installer

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 17:10:53 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 4:59 PM, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Hi Mojca,
>
> On Do, 31 Jul 2008, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> I first tried to use ./tl-portable (from SVN repository) and run
>>     texexec somefile
>
> Cannot comment on that, Siep is the master of tl-portable.

For some reason format generation (or finding the already built
formats, or both) is failing. I remember that tl-portable was working
some time ago.

>> OK, so I thought I would reinstall TL from SVN.
>
> Reinstallation from svn is currently broken, I am updating the tlpdb now
> and commit it in a few minutes. Then it should work again.
>
>> Can't call method "depends" on an undefined value at ./install-tl line
>> 620, <TMP> line 103757.
>
> That is the bug I was talking about. I also made some changes to the
> installer so that it continues over missing packages ...

Thanks.

>> > ./install-tl -gui
>> Platform: universal-darwin => 'universal binaries for MacOSX/Darwin'
>> couldn't connect to display ":0" at
>> /Library/Perl/5.8.6/darwin-thread-multi-2level/Tk/MainWindow.pm line
>> 55.
>> Tk::MainWindow->new() at tlpkg/installer/install-menu-perltk.pl line 233
>
> That is strange. THe installer *tests* whether it can load the Tk
> modules. I would have expected that loading the Tk module will break
> when there is no X running, but of course that is wrong.

It does break. It says "couldn't connect to display ":0". Though yes -
someone else could spit some friendlier error message.

>> OK, it's my fault, but can someone maybe add a note "you need to run
>> X11 in order to be able to use x11"? (Minor, unimportant issue, but it
>> would be nice to document it somewhere.)
>
> All these errors are not from us, but from the Tk library. I don't know
> if I can catch them ... or better, I know, but I don't want to do that
> now, too late. Maybe I send you a test installer ...

Manual suggested checking if DISPLAY exists on OS X, but I know that
the error doesn't come from you. It's just that Perl/Tk has not been
ported to Aqua and depends on X11. Only Tcl/Tk and Ruby/Tk work OK
with native Aqua.

>> Surprise, surprise! It works, but I get approximately 800 x 100
>> window. I didn't really measure it, but it used to work before Taco
>> started complaining about too big size. Norbert?
>
> 800x100?? Darwin is *really* strange. It is currently working on win32
> and unix, so why the hell is Darwin again different. At the end it is X.
> Maybe just Tk is hosed on Darwin?

Can you send me some small test code, so that I can run a test that
reports screen dimensions? I would not be surprised if system was
reporting zero height.

Mojca