[tex-live] Format generation error

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 20:08:03 CEST 2008

2008/7/16 Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com>:

> 2008/7/16 Martin Schröder <martin at oneiros.de>:
>> 2008/7/16 Zdenek Wagner <zdenek.wagner at gmail.com>:
>>> It seems that automatic format generation during installation took
>>> pool files from TL2007. Xelatex used correct pool file (or they have
>>
>> If you upgrade to TL2008, you can safely delete all pool files, as
>> they are not integrated into the binaries.
>>
> I do not want to upgrade until I am sure that everything works. Now
> after recreating the fmt files I can process the files both by TL2007
> and TL2008 depending on the PATH setting. I think that the problem
> could be solved if the installation script put the TL2008 bin
> directory to the beginning of path for running fmtutil.

I doubt the path setting is the problem -- I have installed TL2008
on systems with vendor-supplied TL2007.  The key point is that
the install runs fmtutil-sys so drops the .fmt files into the main tree.
Unless you ran fmtutil with the '-sys' you should not get formats in
the ~/.texlive2008 directory.

Is it possible you had an old .fmt from a previous test of TL2008?

It might be helpful if fmtutil could warn users when the XXtex program
does not come from the expected location, but vendors want to put
programs in /usr/bin, so I don't know how this could be done without
creating too much confusion.

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia