[tex-live] [tex-hyphen] CZ/SK in babel for TL 08

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 23:11:44 CEST 2008

2008/7/16 Heiko Oberdiek <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 06:59:02PM +0200, Zdenek Wagner wrote:
>
>> German hyphenation cannot work in OT1 because umlauts are produced by
>> the \accent primitive.
>
> Therefore patterns with 8bit positions doesn't apply.
> But many words don't have umlauts. Also \ss works, it's position is 25.
> Of course it makes more sense to use T1. *I* and some others know that.
> Unhappily OT1 is the default in LaTeX. Thus I expect complains from people,

Yes, that's true.

> that use the default encoding and detect different hyphenation for their
> existing texts because of the missing patterns with \ss.
>
>> German users should use T1 instead of OT1
>
> Therefore OT1 support don't need to be enabled by default IMHO
> (of course the "compatibility" people will contradict),
> but there should be an easy way to activate it and enable other
> encodings (LY1, ...) as well.

Hyphenation in languages using accented languages does not work in OT1
and never did. It's the same for Czech and Slovak. LaTeX starts in OT1
and the user is supposed to select explicitely T1 or IL2, otherwise
hyphenation does not work.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/