[tex-live] Announcement/Warning: everal changes in network installer

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 16:27:12 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 5:18 AM, Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:
> [...]
> Furthermore, the specification of the installation source has changed,
> now being in sync with tlmgr:
> new selection of installation source is done via
>        --location
> we support --url as an alias for --location
> you can give practically *everything* to --location, should it be
> an http://, ftp://, file:/..., normal path
>
> In the case of file:/ and normal path the installer autodetect the
> installation media. So what you can do now is that you install
> from a separate install-tl direcory, but taking as source the
> svn checkout by doing
>   perl install-tl --location /src/to/svn/checkout/Master

Just want to report that I tried the above install from Master
on an i386-linux system (Fedora 8).  The installer ran smoothly,
and the resulting installation passed some simple tests.

Details:

I grabbed the current install-tl from
ftp://tug.org/texlive/tlnet/tldev/install-tl-unx.tar.gz

$ perl install-tl -version
TeX Live Cross Platform Installer, revision 9430
TeX Live version: development (see http://tug.org/texlive)

For the install I used:

$ perl install-tl -gui --location <...>/Master.

The gui shows version 9430/9433, I omitted all but french and
english docs and also the packages for music, games, and
humanties, and selected "letterpaper".  I haven't tried any
of my local formats or CoNTeXt stuff yet..

The I did some managing:

$ tlmgr --gui update and added win32 to the list of binary
packages, and the CJK language collection.

About gave version 9427.

One minor issue: "tlmgr --gui" opens a window to display the
list of processing steps, while install-tl -gui just writes to the
terminal.

Good work to all those who have been contributing!

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia