[tex-live] trouble starting context on latest tl2008 developer snapshot

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 14:09:41 CEST 2008

Hello Karl,

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 12:17 AM, Karl Berry wrote:
>    Can I simply use bin-xetex as a dependency (we really don't need
>    anything else from XeTeX)?
>
> There is no bin-xetex any more, I merged it all into xetex some time ago.
>
> You could try depending on xetex instead of collection-xetex if you
> don't need \ifxetex or any of the other packages there.

No, those \ifxetex packages are not needed at all.

Can you please change collection-xetex into xetex (in scheme-context)
then? In fact even less is needed, but xetex instead of
collection-xetex is already much better. The remaining few things are
really not worth bothering.

----

name context
category Package
runpattern +d texmf-dist/context/config
runpattern +d texmf-dist/context/data
runpattern +d texmf-dist/fonts/misc/cid/fontforge
#
# these have their own TL package, and are not part of core context.
runpattern +!d texmf-dist/tex/context/third

Why is this part of ConTeXt? These are packages for ConTeXt and should
be installed separately (maybe in collection-context or
scheme-context). Besides that, texmf-dist/tex doesn't catch all the
cases. Some packages also contain metapost code or some font files.

docpattern +!d texmf-dist/fonts/misc/xetex/fontmapping/context

This is *not* documentation. The files are needed to run ConTeXt +
XeTeX properly.
(and are part of core context)

# should be fixed in next release of these pacages:
runpattern +!d texmf-dist/tex/context/pgf
runpattern +!d texmf-dist/tex/context/pgfplots
docpattern +!d texmf-dist/doc/context/pgfplots

I think that this belong to pgf package, not to ConTeXt. It's not so
important, but the files are relatively useless without pgf package
itself.

Maybe one could make a package context-pgf if needed, that would
contain those files + depend on pgf, but I guess that those files
really belong to pgf.

Independent of that: pgf should depend on xkeyval.

Thanks,
    Mojca