[tex-live] CTAN has a new package: hwkatakana

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Feb 21 00:24:38 CET 2008

   . The main idea is to have copies of those two files in special
     subdirectories in the TDS:

You're talking about implementing an entirely new and quite complex TL
package (un)installation method, unlike anything that's ever been done
before in TL.  Sorry, there's just no way that's going to happen,
certainly not for this year's release.

    I can imagine that such a conflict happens in the future

We've lived with the more-or-less unique name restriction for decades
now.  I don't think it's going to change.

    Well, they aren't dependent...

The actual dependency or lack thereof isn't the point.  We don't, in
general, try to track package dependencies.

The point is that anyone who installed wadalab would get the
udmjff.{vf,tfm} fonts from hwkatakana, instead of randomly getting the
one or the other.  Does that work?  (I.e., you couldn't install wadalab
without hwkatakana.)

    It would make sense to integrate hwkatakana into wadalab, at least on
    the TeXLive side.  Hmm...  Anyway, it's still a quirky issue...

If wadalab ends up incoporating the hwkatakana font files, that would be
ideal from my perspective.  Then, ipso facto, there would be only one
version of the files.

karl