[tex-live] [Bug Report]Texlive: when including EPS, latex provide a dvi with blank frame instead of figure

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 18:55:44 CET 2008

On 2/12/08, Jiang Liu <jliupku at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I installed texlive-full on my Ubuntu 7.10 by apt-get.
> When I try to include an eps file, after latex the .tex file, the
> resulting dvi shows only a blank frame for the figure.

Your test.dvi look fine on my Fedora 8 texlive system using
xdvi (from RH's tetex package as well as the texlive svn version)
and kdvi.   In
general, converting figures to pdf and using pdf(la)tex is less fragile,
so unless you really need .dvi and enjoy debugging other people's
code, it may not be worth the effort to track down the
problem on your system.  Pdf is used by a much larger community than
dvi, so pdf tools tend to be better tested than the tools that are specific
to TeX dvi format.

But when I transform the .eps file to a PDF file and pdflatex the .tex
> file, the output is ok.
>
> The attached is the tex file, eps file I used and files produced by
> latex test

It is nice to see a proper problem report with the test files.   Since the
.eps file is rendered by ghostscript, one has to consider a) bad eps, or
b) a buggy ghostscript version.   "epstool --test-eps" didn't find any
problems with test.eps, and the fact that you can convert test.eps to
pdf suggests that your ghostscript can render the file.  What does "xdvi
-debug 32 test.dvi" give?

And below are the texlive components in my machine (by dpkg -l | grep
> texlive)

Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia