[tex-live] [pdftex] font_max limit under using font expansion

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Wed Feb 13 10:00:35 CET 2008

Hi,

Dohyun Kim wrote:
> One of staff members of Korean TeX Society has reported that
> he encountered a very unusual TeX capacity error:
>
> ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [maximum internal font number (font_max)=2000].
>
> See the picture posted at an QnA board of KTS:
> http://www.ktug.or.kr/jsboard/read.php?table=setup&no=12890
>
> This error occurred while using font expansion feature (with microtype.sty)
> applied to large number of subfonts of Korean language.  As you know,
> a CJK font should be divided to hundreds of subfonts because of
> 256 char limit of tfm file.
>
> It was no good to increase the font_max entry in texmf.cnf.
>
> So, I have modified tex.ch file shipped with pdftex source:
>
> max_font_max=2500
>
> the value of which was 2000 originally.
> After recompiling and installing new pdftex binary, the error has gone at last.
>
> The question:
> Why max_font_max value should be limited to 2000?

Because it really has to be limited in some way, and before you,
nobody had complained that 2000 was not enough.

> Any problem if it is increased to 2500 or 3000 by pdftex devel team?

No, it can easily be increased a bit, but we have to ask the
texlive team (tex.ch is controlled by texlive, not pdftex).

Question forwarded. I propose a max_font_max value of 5000.

Best wishes,
Taco