[tex-live] Help! Would like to use xdvi with TeXLive2007 in cygwin

Bo-Yin Yang by at moscito.org
Thu Feb 7 12:54:35 CET 2008

Dear Sirs and Mesdames:

I am a heavy LaTeX user not only for English typesetting; for dealing
with the local bureaucracy, I use CJK in LaTeX [have been doing so
since CJK-4.1.2, in those days using NTU TTF fonts; today using
arphic].  I am not very programming-savvy or TeX-smart, but I had been
using tetex for a long time, both on my Linux boxes and in cygwin on
windows notebooks.  With CJK working [at least in Big5] for me in
cygwin, I am happy.  I use auctex, emacs amd xdvi for my papers, daily
correspondence and proposals.

Problem is, I bought a new laptop; for whatever reasons, the current
cygwin tetex installation is totally broken -- I cannot get it to
function at all.  When I tried to run any tex executable, it cannot
find its files.  For the last 4-5 days at least, when I deleted my
entire cygwin partition and try again, nothing happens.  Still cannot
find any of its config and map files.  No (La)TeX at all.

I got myself a TeX Live 2007 disk and installed that.  Now I can run
TeXLive, but I don't really want to use WinEdit or UltraEdit, I am too
used to emacs+auctex+xdvi.  Problem is, the TeXLive2007 windows
distribution doesn't have am xdvi.  Can someone furnish a xdvi package
compiled for cygwin, or point me to a step-by-step explanation of how
to compile one for myself.  Alternatively, can someone tell me how to
do something to the xdvi included in cygwin so that I can run it using
TeXLive's TDS.

Best wishes for the Year of the Mouse,
Bo-Yin Yang

P.S.

This is the typical error messages that happen to me when I try to run
the cygwin xdvi under texlive

mktexmf: empty or non-existent rootfile
mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for ptmr7t
[lots more of the same, xdvi eventually runs and the file is displayed
after many errors]

If I try to run the cygwin binaries with the default $PATH, then
$ xdvi -display :0 xxl
xdvi: Warning: Unable to find "xdvi.cfg"!
kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 0+540/600 --dpi
540 ptmri7t
mktexpk: Cannot find mktex.opt; check your installation.
kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 0+540/600 --dpi 540 cmr10
mktexpk: Cannot find mktex.opt; check your installation.
xdvi-xaw.bin: Error: Can't find font ptmri7t.540pk
[lots more of the same]

$ updmap
updmap: config file updmap.cfg not found.

$ updmap --cnffile=/usr/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf
updmap: This is updmap, version 1107552857
updmap: no permissions for writing //texmf-var/web2c/updmap.log', so
no transcript
updmap: output directory `//texmf-var/fonts/map/dvips/updmap' does not exist.

$ latex xxl
This is pdfeTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.21a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.4)
 %&-line parsing enabled.
kpathsea: Running mktexfmt latex.fmt
/usr/bin/mktexfmt: line 333: //texmf/texconfig/tcfmgr: No such file or directory

fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.
I can't find the format file `latex.fmt'!

$ texhash
texhash: Done.