[tex-live] TeXLive Online Service?

Jonathan Fine J.Fine at open.ac.uk
Mon Feb 4 12:23:40 CET 2008

"Werner LEMBERG" <wl at gnu.org> wrote in message
news:20080131.085310.122643116.wl at gnu.org...

> does someone offers a `TeXLive Online Service'?
>
> I don't know whether this is the right name, but the idea is that you
> submit a .tex file, and you receive a .pdf file, and TeXLive is used
> for processing.

I'm all in favour of something like that.

I've set up the MathTran server (http://www.mathtran.org) that is now
serving about 30,000 images a day, typeset from TeX notation.  It has a
capacity, after a few tweaks, of about 2,000,000 as I recall.

It uses a secure version of the plain TeX format, and runs TeX as a daemon
(which gives high performance), so dirty tricks like
  \global \let \alpha \beta
do no harm.

Its hosting costs a nominal 1,000 pounds a year, and so it's within the
budget of user groups.

The MathTran server can process documents as well as formulas, but that
interface is not exposed at present.

You might also want to look at my blog page
http://jonathanfine.wordpress.com/mathtran/

--
Jonathan