[tex-live] Another Problem in update

Fengnan Gao fnsteed at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 27 14:36:32 CET 2008

> What do you mean by "latest"?
>
> So you are using some version of Windows.  There has been work on a couple
> issues with Win32 -- in some cases the command line exceeded the limits in
> some versions of cmd, and there were problems with perldoc.  I'd guess
> your
> problem is from the over-long command line, but it would be good to have
> the
> full output.

> There can be delays getting updates to the mirror sites, so you should
> provide the OS version you use and the versions of tlmgr and
> bin-tlperl.win32.

I'm using vista sp1, and the lastest means the newest I can find on
ftp://ftp.riken.go.jp/. And the output of tlmgr --version is

C:\Users\fnsteed>tlmgr --version
tlmgr revision 11693 (2008-12-23 01:22:06 +0100)
tlmgr using installation: d:/texlive/2008
TeX Live (http://tug.org/texlive) version 2008
texlive-20080903

> $ tlmgr  show bin-tlperl.win32

My output is:

tlmgr: installation location
ftp://ftp.riken.go.jp/pub/tex-archive/systems/texli
ve/tlnet/2008/
Package:    bin-tlperl.win32
Category:   TLCore
Installed:  Yes
Revision:   11607

Seems alright.

> Since this might be related to the long command-line bug you can
> check the list archives for the details, and verify that your system
> has the patch.  It is possible the fix didn't make it to the mirror site
> you use.   To get the complete output you can use emacs:
>
> <http://vgoulet.act.ulaval.ca/en/ressources/emacs/>
>
> In emacs, open a shell using <Alt-X>shell and run tlmgr there.   You will
> get a buffer that allows you to scroll back as far as you need.
>
> --

I'm a Emacs user, but I don't know how to use a M-x shell. Some more hint?

Thanks

Fengnan Gao