[tex-live] searching help for files w/o documentation

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Thu Dec 18 18:56:16 CET 2008

Philip TAYLOR (Ret'd) a écrit :
> I would be happy to include the null extension, to allow
> files such as AAAREADME to be displayed ...

Btw, the "null extension" is in the list of default extensions,
precisely for the sake of the readme's. I have no example at hand where
the readme is the first or only result, but eg:

mpg at roth:~% texdoc -s xargs
1	/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/doc/latex/xargs/xargs.pdf
2	/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/doc/latex/xargs/xargs-fr.pdf
3	/usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/doc/latex/xargs/README
Please enter the number of the file to view, anything else to skip:

finds the readme. However, I'm a bit afraid the README won't display
properly on windows, since without extension, the "start" command won't
be able to determine the correct viewer.

While we're at it, if you want to test and maybe suggest a proper way of
displaying readme's, your input would be welcome (I have no windows
machine at hand currently).

Manuel.