[tex-live] report: installing on vista, using standard-configuration

Andreas Hirsch afj at gmx.org
Tue Dec 9 06:02:20 CET 2008

Hi Norbert,

quoting Norbert Preining, [08.12.2008 23:01 +0100]:

> That is not a screen shot of what you have set. Did you *really* change
> the destination folder? Did it show up in the GUI window next to TEXDIR
> setting?

I didn't change the directories in the installer, so it points to
c:/programme/texlive/2008 (as I remind). I will check this.

> Otherwise I am quite surprised.
>
>> I was very surprised, finding most of the installation files in a newly
>> created C:\program\ (without texlive) as shown in
>> 'texlive_vista_installationsort_tatsaechlich'.
>
> Bummer.
>
>> This folder 'program' has been newly created by the installer and it
>> seems to me its not identical to the system-folder program which is
>
> That seems all really messed up.
>
> Unfortunately I cannot test it anymore, I abolished Vista from my
> laptop, it was a PITA.

Yes.

But the problem ist, normal users get only vista for other one year and
telling pupils to install XP or switch to Linux is not the way ...

As I'm (we) have the aim to spread TeX, wie are looking for a way it
will run ander this circumstances.

Andreas

--
'Auch mit Steinen, die Dir in den Weg gelegt werden,
kannst Du etwas Schönes bauen.'