[tex-live] (TeXLive 2008) Fix for small dvipdfm(1) configuration file error

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Dec 5 00:40:46 CET 2008

Hi John,
            < V 2
            ---
            > V 3

Thanks.  For dvipdfmx, we have V 4.  Do you know of some reason we
should not use 4 for dvipdfm too?  I'll change it to that barring advice
to the contrary.  (Those PDF version "errors" are so uselessly painful.)

    Some people here still use latex(1) and dvips(1)/ps2pdf(1) or dvipdfm(1)

FYI, I suggest using dvipdfmx (maintained) instead of dvipdfm
(unmaintained).

    irksome to have manually to close and reopen the PDF file

"irksome" is an understatement!  FWIW, on Windows, I am told that Sumatra
PDF can reload documents.  http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/

On Unix-based platforms, xpdf, evince, and virtually all PDF readers
other than Adobe's can reload.

    but I would like to wean users off latex(1) and DVI and onto pdflatex(1)

There are other reasons to use latex instead of pdflatex -- pstricks is
one (though see the auto-pst-pdf package), eps figures (when conversion
is undesirable, as the AMS and other publishers suggest) is another.

Best,
Karl