[tex-live] Installing TeXLive2008 on Cygwin

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Mon Aug 25 17:31:48 CEST 2008

Angelo Graziosi wrote:

 > May you give an example of using rsync?

I used "rsync" for the first time today,
starting with the URL to be found in

	ftp://tug.org/texlive/Images/test/README

(i.e., rsync://tug.org/texlive-Images/test/texlivetest2008.iso.lzma)

The final period in the web page version of the above is
an error, and the file seems not to exist, but at least
I now knew the syntax.

I then fetched RSYNC as a part of the DeltaCopy package :

	http://www.aboutmyip.com/files/DeltaCopy.zip

found the GUI too complex, and experimented with the
command-line version until I found a syntax that would work,
using my guess at the RSYNC address of the Cambridge CTAN
node, modified to fetch the entire TeX Live network installation
suite :

	rsync rsync://rsync.tex.ac.uk/CTAN/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008/

Finally I discovered that in order to actually fetch the files,
rather than just list them, one has to append a destination path :

	rsync rsync://rsync.tex.ac.uk/CTAN/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008/ .

(Note final space and period).

This has the effect of mirroring (once) the Cambridge TeX Live
Network installer suite to the current directory and sub-directories
thereof.

Hope that helps :
Philip TAYLOR