[tex-live] texdoc: complain_about_old_envvar

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Sun Aug 24 19:06:44 CEST 2008

Hello Manuel,

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 12:00:34AM +0200, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:

> Heiko Oberdiek scripsit (22.08.2008 15:33)
> >   Different texdoc versions require different environment variables,
> > thus the old variables must be set if several versions are in use.
>
> Oh, I didn't think of this situation. How do you happen to run several
> versions on the same account by the way?

Several TeX installations (including TL2007, TL2008, ...),
it's better I do not describe all details, ... ;-)

> > |         section ?.?, ?.? for details.
> >
> Oops, I should fix that too.
>
> > But the use of PDFVIEWER_texdoc shows that the user has read the
> > manual and knows the new name. Therefore it's a bug that a warning
> > is generated in this case.
> >
> You're probably true. I just have to think a bit more before I fix it. For
> example, what would you expect texdoc to do if an old envvar name is used,
> and not the corresponding new name, but the corresponding setting in
> texdoc.cnf? I assume you don't want a warning in this case either?

If a warning should be given at all, then only, if the finally used
value comes from a deprecated environment variable. Thus in the described
scenario there would be a warning. But you are right, this warning
would be dubious, too.

For simplicity I would just drop the warning, either an environment
variable is supported, or it isn't. If something isn't working anymore,
because the support for an environment variable is dropped, then the
user would probably look into the documentation anyway.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>