[tex-live] Not so good experience with TL net install on windows.

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Aug 23 23:56:54 CEST 2008

    May it come from my Interner connectivity provider, or the mirror I
    used (ftp.inria.fr/pub/CTAN) ?

Very probably.  It's downloading over 1gb.

    ms-windows popup saying that I had not enough virtual memory, that

It seems there is some VM consumption in the Windows installer, but no
one has been able to debug it.  On the wild chance that it is related to
Perl/Tk, next time, you might try the command-line installer (install-tl
-no-gui) if you are up to it.

        Eventually, post install actions failed (was it due to the virtual
    memory problem ?)

Maybe.  It seems not all the files were installed, either due to the vm
problem or the download woes.  Not having all the files would cause the
subsequent failures.

As Phil said, you might find it more reliable to mirror the directory
instead of letting tlmgr download it.  Another option is to download the
.iso or the tarballs.  I haven't written up precise instructions for
those options, but the readme file in the tlnet directory gives some
clues.

Sorry for the problems and thanks for the report.

karl