[tex-live] tl layout on ctan

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Aug 20 12:32:01 CEST 2008

Staszek Wawrykiewicz <staw at gust.org.pl> wrote:

[ complete quote since staszek didn't cc the ctan list ]

> I found that ctan nodes have the following layout in tlnet/2008/
>  archive/
>  install-tl/ *)
>  tlpkg/
>  install-tl.zip
>  install-tl-unx.tar.gz
>  README
>
> I think that *) (unpacked install-tl.zip) can be only missleading
> and I'd suggest to remove it. The main reason is that *) contains also
> tlpkg/ directory and if someone downloads (or makes mirror) the whole
> structure, then tries to run install-tl/install-tl[.bat] for installation
> from the local disk, it doesn't work. Sorry for my poor wording of the
> problem, anyway my recommendation is:
> 1. to remove install-tl/ directory from CTAN
>
> 2. for installation from the net just get install-tl.zip or
>    install-tl-unx.tar.gz, unpack it and follow the instructions as already
>    described in the TeX Live Guide
>
> 3. for installation/update from mirrored archive/*.tar.lzma files
>    to make things work we need the following layout on the local disk:
>    install-tl/ (from unpacked .zip or .tar.gz)
>    install-tl/archive/ (mirrored, containing the updated stuff)
>    install-tl/tlpkg/   (mirrored, containing the current database)
>
> OK, seems somehow complicated, but I'd suggest to make mirrors in
> already made install-tl/ directory somewhere on the local disk, then move
> .zip (.tar.gz) to the parrent directory, unpack it, etc.
> All in all, install-tl[.bat] script works as follows:
> ./tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb  finds here database
> ./archive/*.tar.lzma   finds here compressed packages (otherwise uses
>                        unpacked files from DVD)
> That was the only way to have the same installer for DVD and compressed
> packages stored on the hard disk. Uff!

i'm not keen to start excluding things from our mirror of texlive: such
things provide endless boring hours of tidying up, ime.

so, short of direct instruction from (in effect) the whole tl team, this
change isn't going to happen here -- it needs to happen on the tug box i
mirror from.

robin

(note that cambridge is tl's gateway into ctan.)