[tex-live] linguex in texlive snapshot

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Sun Aug 17 15:44:17 CEST 2008

Robin Fairbairns <Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

>> > i've discussed with karl the need for sorting these "unknown" licence
>> > statements in the catalogue: gb4e is one of those packages that will (in
>> > the new world) be classified as "noinfo" (i.e., no information provided
>> > about licensing conditions).
>>
>> By the way, it would be great to share efforts concerning this licence thing.
>>  It's obviously a huge task, and it would be bad to double or triple-check
>> some packages just because the TL peoples don't know what has been checked by
>> the Ctan people or vice-versa. (The Debian guys are also interested in
>> comprehensive licence check I think, and maybe others linux/bsd/whatever
>> distro may be interested in it.)

Debian has always used the catalogue to store the information

$ grep -A1 license entries/a/acronym.xml
  <license type='lppl' version='1.17' checked='2006-03-07'
  username='frank' file='header'/>

> so i'm all in favour of sharing

What are the pieces of information that are missing?

a) more detailed license information:

   - I think "lppl" means some "or
     later" clause, but I'm not sure, and I'm not sure whether I've indicated
     any "exactly version $foo" somehow.

   - Which files are covered (this is important in particular for font
     stuff)

b) Info for following up on issues, like

   - author could be contacted at $date by $collaborator under
     $e-mail at address.

   - $collaborator is currently in contact with

   - don't bother to try to get the license changed, this will stay
     non-free

Regards, Frank

--
Frank Küster