[tex-live] problems installing TL08 on WinXP

Maxwell, Adam R adam.maxwell at pnl.gov
Wed Aug 13 18:35:45 CEST 2008

I tried using the bootstrap installer as recommended by this page:

http://gentoo.chem.wisc.edu/tex-archive/systems/texlive/tlnet/tldev/README

to install TL 2008 on a Windows XP Pro system, but the install fails.  It
looks like none of the formats are created, and manual attempts to run
updmap-sys or tlmgr from the Windows shell result in " No appropriate script
found." messages.  Log file attached.

I first tried a medium install with some additional packages added via the
installer GUI, then tried a full install with the same results.  Let me know
if I can provide additional info; using Windows is not my forte.  I'm using
TL08 on Mac OS X, and was hoping to get a Windows-using colleague to use it
as well.

thanks,
Adam