[tex-live] linguex in texlive snapshot

Robin Fairbairns Robin.Fairbairns at cl.cam.ac.uk
Wed Aug 13 17:00:18 CEST 2008

Florin <061d724h at stu.kobe-u.ac.jp> wrote:

> Hi all. I just installed the latest snapshot of TeXlive 2008. So far
> everything seems to be working great, with one exception:
> The package linguex (used for examples in linguistics) requires
> cgloss4e.sty. The file comes with the linguex package, downloadable
> from CTAN. However, TeXlive  does not install it together with
> linguex. Maybe someone considered it is obsolete and removed it?
>
> I checked in
> texlive/2008/tlpkg/tlpobj/linguex.tlpobj and the file is not listed:
>  texmf-dist/doc/latex/linguex/README
>  texmf-dist/doc/latex/linguex/README.TEXLIVE
>  texmf-dist/doc/latex/linguex/linguex-doc.pdf details="Linguex manual:"
>  texmf-dist/doc/latex/linguex/linguex-doc.tex
>  texmf-dist/doc/latex/linguex/ps-trees-doc.pdf details="PS-trees manual:"
>  texmf-dist/doc/latex/linguex/ps-trees-doc.tex
> runfiles size=7
>  texmf-dist/tex/latex/linguex/linguex.sty
>  texmf-dist/tex/latex/linguex/linguho.sty
>  texmf-dist/tex/latex/linguex/ps-trees.sty
> catalogue-ctan /macros/latex/contrib/linguex
>
> Hopefully this can be easily fixed.

not really.  tex live has to be sure that the licence of a piece of
software permits its distribution.  there are licence statements for the
other software in the linguex directory, but no common statement, and
nothing in cgloss at all.

likewise, there is no licence statement for anything at all in the gb4e
directory.

often, in cases like this, one can deduce from hints in the code that
it's supposed to be distributed freely.  this is one of the 700 such
ctan packages on my list which has no indication whatever about how it
may be distributed.

if you are in contact with the authors, it would be good if they were to
get in contact with this mailing list, or with us on the ctan list, to
remedy the situation.  however, from my pov, i don't imagine the tex-
live team would think themselves at liberty to include the package.

robin