[tex-live] TL2008 installation under Windows

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Wed Aug 13 05:19:17 CEST 2008

Gregor Zimmermann scripsit (13.08.2008 03:03)
> Furthermore, 'pdf(la)tex' is not an option as long as the only
> vector-graphics (read: high-quality) format produced by many
> applications is EPS

I don't fully agree on this point. You can still compile with latex+dvips and
use psview or ps2pdf and any pdf viewer, or convert your eps graphics to pdf.

> and as long as PDF handling under Windows is still
> clumsy due to exclusively locked files (which also the new PS_View does).

True.

Anyway, I'm afraid it's really too late to change anything about this.

>> Use of uninitialized value in substitution (s///) at
>> C:\install-tl\install-tl li
>> ne 489.
>> Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at
>> C:\install-tl\insta
>> ll-tl line 490.
>> Use of uninitialized value in substitution (s///) at
>> C:\install-tl\install-tl li
>> ne 496.
>> Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at
>> C:\install-tl\insta
>> ll-tl line 497.
> [snip]
> Don't know what this means, might not even be an error...

I think Siep fixed that today.

> 6)
> There are way too many entries in the 'TeX Live 2008' group. All those
> manuals could got to a subfolder like 'TeX Live Manuals'.

I agree, but know nothing about windows. Siep?

> 8)
> tlmgr: The convenient little button to edit the 'updmap.cfg' from 2007
> is greatly missed.

Iirc, this is on purpose.  The rationale is that normal users don't even know
what it is, and are very likely to break things by editing updmap.cfg.  Expert
users are generally able to open the file themselves. It's also a way of
remembering the user that he's playing with dangerous things.

> 11)
> TeXdoc GUI:

I suppose you mean texdoctk.  I don't like the name of texdoc GUI since
texdoctk and the command-line version texdoc don't share the same principles,
but anyway.

Well, the first point about texdoctk is that it is unmaintained since some
time, and some replacement should probably be rewritten from scratch. By the
way, I'm just thinking, I wonder if it's a good idea to promote (I mean, put a
shortcut on the desktop) a somehow unmaintained software like this...

> 11a)
> Settings-Printer: lpr won't do any good (with these options). Syntax
> would be:
>> lpr -S {Server Name or IP} -P {Queue Name} [-o l]
> where '-o l' is to be used for binary data like PostScript.
> Unfortunately guessing a working IP might prove impossible and '-S
> 127.0.0.1' for local printer(s) also does not work as Windows provides
> no lpq(s) for them...

What would be relevant values for windows?

> 11b)
> DVI 'viewer command' is 'dviout' although this is definitely not installed.

In theory, there should be no dvi documentation in TL anyway. But it's still
not entirely true.

> 11c)
> i) While trying to find a solution to 8) (i.e. which of the many
> updmap.cfg to alter) via 'TeXdok GUI'-'The TeX Live
> Guide'-'German'/'English', those entries gave errors ('live.pdf missing'
> or similar).

Oh, yes, the name changed to texlive-en etc recently. Just fixed it.

> 11d)
> Why gives the search function nothing for 'kpfonts' and 'pxfonts' but
> something for 'fourier' and 'lm'?

This search function is actually *very* misleading. It doesn't search in all
the documentation files, but only in those listed somewhere in the texdoctk
menu. To really look for arbitrary documentation, your are advised to use the
command-line texdoc.

> X) As many of the (*)TeX-developers are on this list: Does anyone know a
> tool to convert Xe(La)TeX's xdv files to PostScript? Or is this
> impossible anyway, although Postscript is said to support multibyte
> characters?

I don't know, but I would rather fear that PostScript can't handle OpenType
fonts... I must admit I never felt the need to convert anything to postscript
rather than pdf, but this is another matter :-)

Manuel.