[tex-live] TL2008 installation under Windows

Gregor Zimmermann gregor.zimmermann at physik.uni-leipzig.de
Wed Aug 13 03:03:17 CEST 2008

Hi All,

having done a few test installations of TL2008, here are some
questions/remarks:

0)
Installation under Windows XP and 2000 was working well and even
malicious interruptions couldn't break the installation procedure, i.e
it was always able to resume and finish the process.

1)
Under 'macros': 'Windows support programs' is not selected, although the
*scheme-full* is chosen and the install is running under *Windows*.

2)
As far as I can see, the '~/texmf' under TEXMFHOME is not a problem.
Most users have no idea what TDS is about and certainly do not know
TEXMF* and their relevance. Therefore these options will remain
untouched in most (Windows-)cases.
And the remark that '~' is replaced by 'HOME/USERPROFILE' is nice, but
won't improve matters much, as those users have no clue about windows
internals like %USERPROFILE% either.

3)
While watching Installation-TV, I saw 'bin.xdvi-win32' scrolling by, but
after the install there still was no DVI-viewer whatsoever. Is there no
way to provide one during the Net-install?
A TeX system without pre-installed DVI viewer is not usable in many
circumstances. As Siep Kroonenberg put it: "[users] ... are smart enough
in their own field, but most of them have very little notion of the
system they work on." And this even holds for TeX. To them, TeX is just
the black box they use to typeset their RevTeX articles. But as soon the
fundamentals of the TeX system are not working (or not working as
expected from earlier versions), those users are in trouble. A
DVI-viewer is one of those basic assumptions...
Furthermore, 'pdf(la)tex' is not an option as long as the only
vector-graphics (read: high-quality) format produced by many
applications is EPS and as long as PDF handling under Windows is still
clumsy due to exclusively locked files (which also the new PS_View does).

4)
When the final message window appeared, the following status messages
were accessible in the accompanying console window:
4a)
[snip]
> Use of uninitialized value in substitution (s///) at C:\install-tl\install-tl li
> ne 489.
> Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at C:\install-tl\insta
> ll-tl line 490.
> Use of uninitialized value in substitution (s///) at C:\install-tl\install-tl li
> ne 496.
> Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string at C:\install-tl\insta
> ll-tl line 497.
[snip]
Don't know what this means, might not even be an error...
4b)
[snip]
> Running f-cache -v -r
> running mktexlsr C:/texlive/2008/texmf-dist C:/texlive/2008/texmf
> mktexlsr: Updating C:/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/ls-R...
> mktexlsr: Updated C:/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/ls-R.
> mktexlsr: Updating C:/texlive/2008/texmf/ls-R...
> mktexlsr: Updated C:/texlive/2008/texmf/ls-R.
> mktexlsr: Done.
[snip]
Shouldn't the first line read 'Running fc-cache -v -r'? And shouldn't
fc-cache generate more output -- or is it momentarily disabled due to
the previous problems while saving the cache? After the installation the
'fc-cache -v -r' ran without problems (as admin).

5)
After closing the finalization message, the corresponding console window
did not close.

6)
There are way too many entries in the 'TeX Live 2008' group. All those
manuals could got to a subfolder like 'TeX Live Manuals'.

7)
I see no problem in silently adding the two shortcuts to the user's
desktop.  Windows users are used to this behaviour...

8)
tlmgr: The convenient little button to edit the 'updmap.cfg' from 2007
is greatly missed.

9)
The German text of the button 'TeX Live Manager (tlmgr)' should rather
read 'Über tlmgr'.

10)
PS_View: Under Windows 2000, the 'Open file' dialogue did not work.
However, files could be opened by dropping them on the symbol on the
desktop.

11)
TeXdoc GUI:
11a)
Settings-Printer: lpr won't do any good (with these options). Syntax
would be:
 > lpr -S {Server Name or IP} -P {Queue Name} [-o l]
where '-o l' is to be used for binary data like PostScript.
Unfortunately guessing a working IP might prove impossible and '-S
127.0.0.1' for local printer(s) also does not work as Windows provides
no lpq(s) for them...
11b)
DVI 'viewer command' is 'dviout' although this is definitely not installed.
11c)
i) While trying to find a solution to 8) (i.e. which of the many
updmap.cfg to alter) via 'TeXdok GUI'-'The TeX Live
Guide'-'German'/'English', those entries gave errors ('live.pdf missing'
or similar).
ii) Then used the links in the start menu (working), unfortunately
neither English nor German 'TeX Live Manual' were of any help. At this
stage, I defined 'psv.bat' as default application for PDF (fresh and
clean Windows-VMs without Acrobat Reader ;).
iii) Cross check if missing default application was responsible for
11c-i): First document from 'The TeX Live Guide' worked (Czech/Slovak
version, randomly chosen), all subsequent choices in this category open
the Czech/Slovak version. Different entries in other categories, e.g.
'Fundamentals', behave as expected.
11d)
Why gives the search function nothing for 'kpfonts' and 'pxfonts' but
something for 'fourier' and 'lm'?

12)
Xe(La)TeX is working (story & sample2e).

X) As many of the (*)TeX-developers are on this list: Does anyone know a
tool to convert Xe(La)TeX's xdv files to PostScript? Or is this
impossible anyway, although Postscript is said to support multibyte
characters?

Best Regards,
  Gregor