[tex-live] tlmgr --help screen mode

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Aug 11 01:41:39 CEST 2008

Hi Hartmut,

    Is there a place in tlmgr, where this -R
    could be missing?

No.  We don't explicitly invoke less, or any pager.

    Or is something weird with my local setup?

That's my guess, although I don't have any good ideas about what it
could be.  It works for me; with PAGER=cat, I get plain text, with
PAGER=less (or more) I get formatted text as expected.

All we actually do with --help for these Perl scripts is invoke the fn:
pod2usage(-exitstatus => 0, -verbose => 2);

where pod2usage is doing all the formatting.  Maybe in its doc will help
you track down what's happening?
http://perldoc.perl.org/Pod/Usage.html#pod2usage()

karl