[tex-live] Perltk-zh.pl in tl2008 has been finished in both simplified and traditional chinese.

hongyi.zhao at gmail.com hongyi.zhao at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 12:25:09 CEST 2008

On Saturday, August 9, 2008 at 17:34, P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk wrote:

> hongyi.zhao at gmail.com wrote:

>> Basically, the simplified chinese is mainly used in Chinese Mainland, Malaysia, and Singapore, whereas the traditional chinese is mainly used in Taiwan, Hongkong, Macao and etc.
>>
>> In spite of the fact of the above territorial use of simplified and traditional chinese, we shouldn't simply do the locale map from all of these to only zh-cn and zh-tw like the above, IMO.  This is because there're many region-specific phrase corresponding to each of the regions.  In detail, though simplified chinese are both used in Chinese and Singapore, they may use a different phrase or word for the same thing.
>>
>> N B, the files provided by me should only have the correct expression for only Chinese Mainland (zh-cn version) and Chinese Taiwan (zh-tw version).
>>
>> But, the above requirement perhaps is a bit of rigor!  Just my suggestions.

> OK, a question to Norbert : if you (the installer, that is)
> detect localisation "zh-hk", could you/it then issue a message
> (in "zh-hk") reading (in translation) "Sorry, we do not have
>   a 'zh-hk' transliteration; using 'zh-tw' as the nearest
>   approximation" ?

> Zhao, is there a localisation for Shanghainese, which I know
> from experience is very different to standard Hanyu ?  And if
> so, would we want to offer a similar message before serving
> standard Hanyu in simplified hanzi ?

A quick search with google give me the following results:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghainese

I myself don't have any experience and knowledge in Shanghainese,
sorry for this thing.

Sincerely yours,
--
Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao at gmail.com>
Xinjiang Technical Institute of Physics and Chemistry