[tex-live] Win32: xelatex -0.999.4 failure to process sample2e.tex

Jonathan Kew jonathan at jfkew.plus.com
Thu Aug 7 18:30:10 CEST 2008

On 7 Aug 2008, at 1:35 PM, Akira Kakuto wrote:

> Dear Christian,
>
>>> Fortunately I've reproduced your previous crash by compiling
>>> on vista. I've identified that the access violation is occuring at
>>> applytfmfontmapping().  Please give me some time.
>>> I believe it will become more stable later.
>>
>> MiKTeX-XeTeX had the same issue: a crash in applytfmfontmapping.
>> See the
>> "xelatex math problem with sqrt" thread (XeTeX mailing list).
>>
>> The MiKTeX bug report:
>> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=110783&aid=1977813&group_id=10783
>
> Many thanks!! I've confirmed that the newly compiled xetex on vista
> does no more crash after initializing font_mapping[]:=0.
> Jonathan, please initialize font_mapping[], since I don't want
> to touch xetex.ch.

Aha, I think I see how this could be happening. I have made a one-line
change to xetex.ch that I believe will solve the problem (without
requiring you to make additional patches for W32TeX or MikTeX).
Checked in to xetex svn and texlive svn as v0.999.5.

Thanks for the reports; sorry to be so slow identifying the real
source of the bug (I hope it's correct now!).

JK