[tex-live] You should warn users not to install texlive 2008 if they have miktex installed

Vasile Gaburici vgaburici at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 03:53:59 CEST 2008

I've managed to salvage my Texlive 2008 installation. The only things
that seem to have failed were mktexlsr and updmap-sys. I ran those
manually, from Texlive's install dir.

C:\Program Files\texlive\2008\bin\win32>kpsewhich.exe plain.tex

C:\Program Files\texlive\2008\bin\win32>texhash
texhash: Updating C:/Program Files/texlive/2008/texmf-config/ls-R...
[...]
C:\Program Files\texlive\2008\bin\win32>kpsewhich.exe plain.tex
c:/Program Files/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/tex/plain/base/plain.tex

Also, after I ran a few test documents through luatex, luapdftex and
xetex, I decide to change my path to include Texlive 2008 instead of
Miktex 2.7. Lo and behold, that had already happened automatically. It
looks like there's some logic for changing the PATH, but it wasn't
triggered soon enough in the installation process. BTW, a warning
would be nice before changing the PATH.

There were a couple more suspicious things going on. On the fmt
creation pass, I got some "mktexupd failed", but stuff worked normally
despite that. Below is the output while initializing xetex, but luatex
and luapdftex printed the same "mktexupd failed" message:

kpathsea: Running mktexfmt xetex.fmt
Running: xetex --ini --jobname=xetex --progname=xetex -etex xetex.ini <nul
This is XeTeXk, Version 3.1415926-2.2-0.999.4 (Web2C 7.5.7) (INITEX)
[...]
No pages of output.
Transcript written on xetex.log.
mktexupd failed
mktexupd failed
The file xetex.fmt created.
Now I check executable files...
If some executable files do not exist, you must make them
by hard link (Windows NT/2000/XP) or copying (Windows 95/98/Me).

OK. xetex.exe exists.
[...]

But like I wrote above things worked normally after that.

Also, it looks like texhash uses the new lua library since it's
insanely fast, unless it's missing a lot of files somehow...