[tex-live] (no subject)

Mark London mrl at psfc.mit.edu
Wed Apr 23 16:38:31 CEST 2008

Tigran Aivazian wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Apr 2008, Mark London wrote:
>> I'm trying to use the Tex Live manager to recreate the formats in
>> order to change the PDF page size from A4 to letter. However, when I
>> open that application, there is no tab which allows me to manage the
>> installation. So I assume it must think it's not installed. Is that
>> because I installed Tex Live from a different account (that no longer
>> exists)? Is there any way to fix this? Or is there any way to
>> manually fix the PDF page size? Thanks. - Mark
>
> To set page size and many other parameters use geometry package
> (unless you are using xelatex, in which case you will need a special
> geometry.cfg and other bits for geometry to work).

This is not what the documentation recommends. Instead, it says:

4.2 Pdftex

The program pdflatex converts a LATEX file directly to pdf format. To
change the paper size, edit the file
C:\TeXLive2007\texmf-var\tex\generic\config\pdftexconfig.tex
and change “pdfpagewidth” and “pdf-pageheight” to specify letter-size paper.

These entries should read:

pdfpagewidth 8.5 true in
pdfpageheight 11 true in

To make this change take effect, you need to do one additional step:

Start -> All Programs -> TeXLive 2007 -> TeXLive Manager
Select Manage the Installation tab
Under Create Formats, click on All

There is no such tab that I can see on my Manager. Another way perhaps
is for me to manually run "fmtutil -all". However, when I do that from
the command line, it complains that the commands pdftex and pdflatex are
not recognized.

Does anyone else have any suggestions? Thanks.

- Mark