[tex-live] [tlpmgui] [BUG] which.exe in \setuptl directory does not work on x64 windows (fwd)

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at cybercomm.nl
Tue Sep 18 21:26:33 CEST 2007

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 03:48:11AM +0200, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> Staszek Wawrykiewicz writes:
>
>  > czy which.exe w ogole jest uzywany w XP i wyzej?
>
>  >> Any attempts to invoke 'which.exe' causes immediate crash of the program.
>
> Hi everybody,
> I don't understand Polish but I suppose that there are problems with
> Windows XP.  I have XP at work and I noticed that which.exe doesn't
> crach but doesn't work properly either.  "pdftex --version" works but
> "which pdftex" claims that pdftex is not in PATH.
>
> I still can't guarantee that I can provide a new installer before
> TL2008 is released, but if a Perl compiler is available it should be
> quite easy to create a standalone Perl script which uses the which()
> function I recently added to Master/tlpkg/TeXLive/TLUtils.pm .
>
> If anybody is interested in a standalone Perl script "which.pl",
> please let me know.  I can provide such a script within a few minutes.
> I try to code the functions as platform independent as possible, but I
> can't test anything on Windows.  Hence, I depend on feedback from
> Windows users.
>
> Regards,
>   Reinhard

I was indeed sort-of assuming that a Perl installer would take care
of this functionality.

I think I mentioned that I have a Mingw-compiled Perl including
perl/tk and a registry access module. If anybody is interested, I
can make a tar or zip available for download, together with some
sample code for accessing the registry.

--
Siep Kroonenberg