[tex-live] [NTG-pdftex] pdfTeX and ToUnicode CMaps

Heiko Oberdiek oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de
Thu Oct 25 08:43:32 CEST 2007

On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 10:08:53AM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > > How comes that this feature is neither mentioned in the NEWS file
> > > nor in the documentation?
> >
> > It was presented by Han at EuroBachoTeX 2007:
> >   `Font-specific issues in pdfTeX'
> >
> > (I don't know whether slides exist on-line, via google I only found
> > a non-existing pdf file, but at least google's html view was
> > available.)
>
> Hmm.  This isn't a replacement for documentation.  IMHO, it *must* be
> mentioned in the NEWS file (perhaps in the `experimental' section'.

Apart from not having time, there are many reasons for
missing documentation. Perhaps the feature isn't finished
and too `experimental'. Or there are plans to redesign the
interfaces. Documentation raises compatibility issues.
On the other hand the author will have less feedback
without documentation.
  But either way, this decision is up to the author who implements
the feature, not the user who wants to use it. But the user may
help, if the author welcomes it, e.g. writing documentation, testing,
or providing ideas, e.g. how to achieve:

> Indeed, those features should be merged.

Yours sincerely
  Heiko <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de>