[tex-live] Can I change the postscript font that is assigned to a TeX font?

Mark London mrl at psfc.mit.edu
Tue Oct 23 20:59:27 CEST 2007

I'm presently using URW Arial for Arial, but it's not quite real Arial.
Is there a way to use the present URW Arial, but change a map file somewhere
so that the postscript font which is used, is ArialMT instead?

I do something sort of like this for Bluesky Tex on the mac.  Bluesky only
contains helvetica, but helvetica is extremely close to arial.  And in Bluesky
Tex, it's possible to change the name of the postscript font assigned to a
font.  I.e. for Helvetica, I changed it's postscript font to be ArialMT.

Then I run Adobe distiller, and the PDF looks great.  All I mainly care about
is getting PDF output, fwiw, so maybe a texpdf map file can be changed instead?

(I'm trying to avoid the previous suggestion of installing the Vietnamese font
in order to get Arial, if possible!)

Thanks. - Mark